Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hurricanes and Politics

Its been quite scary down here in Florida the last couple of months. Thank God we have been spared the horror of devastating hurricane hits. Unfortunately other states on the Gulf have not been that lucky. I am so saddened by anyone that has to reap the dangers of being in these horrific storm's path. I am also saddened that the election in November is escalating racism. I am appalled by the racist emails I have been receiving from people that call themselves conservative. I really believed that this election would prompt a growth in the way people think about gender and race. Oh god, and then enter Sarah Palin a man in a woman's body. Can you believe that in a new millennium our country is still controlled by man's beliefs? In a man's world having an attractive woman that thinks like a man for Vice President is their way of supporting women's rights. Ugh. Thank god there are men and women out there that see right through her and support the rights of women that our grandmothers, mothers and ourselves have fought hard for. Living in a free country means to me that a government will not control what I choose to do with my body, what I choose to write, create, display or speak about, and what I choose to believe in. These things are very important to me and my family. Other issues including health care, the war, the economy and oil drilling off the beautiful coastline I now reside on, keeps my political beliefs on the left. As we have seen by the past natural disasters, Mother Nature holds no prejudice. Just something to think about.
http://womenagainstsarahpalin.blogspot.com/

6 Comments:

Blogger beep1 said...

Elizabeth-
Hear! Hear! Well said, as usual.
BP

September 14, 2008 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Regina Caschetto said...

The photos on the news about the devastating effects of Hurricane Ike are unbelievable-my thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Texas and Louisiana-my cousin lived in Galveston for awhile and still owns a piece of property there-it is virtually unrecognizable-
I know it is difficult to leave your home when they tell you to get out but get out-
Also they seem to be a little better about people taking their pets with them-yes I am an animal lover and it was distressing to learn that many people, especially the elderly, did not leave their home in New Orleans during Hurrican Katrina because they wouldn't leave their animals who are their whole families-
New Orleans isn't back to normal yet and now more devastation-
As far as politics goes, why on earth do the campaigns start so soon-
We had Senator Obama, McCain and Clinton spending over a year running-maybe their time could have been better spent doing their jobs in the Senate and getting some bills passed-
Why do we have to wait for a new President to be inaugurated before anything gets done-
Also I thought there were campaign regulations passed by yet by the Democrats and Republicans are receiving contributions in the millions to run TV ads berating each other-
As far as Sara Palin goes, I so wanted a qualified woman to run for President-
I didn't know much about her and I was disappointed about Sen. Clinton not receiving the Dem. nod-before I even found out more about Gov. Palin, only I had to here was that she goes on hunting parties where they shoot wolves from helicopters-I didn't even know this was legal-
As far as Sen.Obama goes, no I don't think he is the Christ Child, but I do appreciate the fact that he was one of the few Senators to vote against the Iraq was right from the beginning-
And yes, unfortunately, I get several e mails a day questioning his religion and race-disgraceful.
November can't come soon enough-
This is just a thought but seeing how the U.S. is going bankrupt, maybe we should leave Iraq and Afghanistan, because let's face it, we're never going to find Bin Laden and we should concentrate on fixing our country instead of trying to colonialize other countries-
And to all those that serves or are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, you are victorious because you are soldiers and you did your jobs-
Thank you-
Regi.

September 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Christina.H.C. said...

Ahhhhh, exactly! My husband and I both stood with our mouths open in shock when we heard about Palin (horrified by how utterly genius but totally disgusting the choice was).

Glad to hear that you're surviving the storms, Elizabeth. It's sounded pretty terrible from the news coverage. I'm hoping to go to Florida to take some classes with you when hurricane season ends, if possible.

September 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger unknown author said...

Elizabeth,
I am so sorry that people have said such terrible things. Politics seem to bring out the worst in people. We all have different views and you certainly have the right to yours. Just keep sharing what you think. I do enjoy reading your blog.

Women can't be put in a box. We are all female but have such different experiences. Where we grow up, our family, friends, all make us unique. I have friends on both sides of the isle, and it works for us. We love each other as persons first, extends grace to each other when we differ and know at the end of the day, we can count on each other.

September 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Regina Caschetto said...

Well what a wonderful week for the U.S.-anyone else a nervous wreck with the financial crisis-and it's not at all comforting to watch any of the news channels because no one seems to really know exactly what happened or how to fix it except that it's going to get worse before it gets better-
Regi.

September 20, 2008 at 2:58 AM  
Blogger val said...

What you say about Sarah Palin I always said about Margaret Thatcher - a woman in a man's body. I disowned her, and fully support your disowning Palin.

September 20, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home